Tuesday, December 27, 2011

{Spicy Cheese Dip} Say Cheese!!



I like cheese a whole bunch, I especially love cheese when it is warm, melty and I can dip stuff in it like chips, soft pretzels, carrots, broccoli, spoons and fingers.  

This cheese dip is good enough to drink alone, and today has been one of those days where I could drown my sorrows in cheese, but I digress...
Here is the most delicious cheese dip recipe.  


 
First you melt 1/4 cup of butter. Medium/low heat. 


Grate 1 cup of pepper jack cheese and bust out a couple of slices of good old American Processed Cheese Food (yeah, they can't even call it "cheese" but it melts so nicely and adds a nice American cheese flavor)


Add 3 Tbsp. of flour to the butter and whisk it until it is thick and smooth.  On a medium/low heat. Then...

Add the pepper jack to the pot and stir it up until it melts.  I know this part is not typical of a cheese sauce, but trust me on this move.
Add in heavy cream and turn the heat up a bit to get the cream warm but not curdled. 
This is not for the low-fat dieters...just use it in moderation (that's my rule of thumb).  And you can see my cheater, from a box, frozen soft pretzels.  I have made them from scratch before, but I was just so hung up on the idea of soft pretzels and cheese I went the short cut route...but next time... I will make these Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites from "Two Peas and Their Pod"   They look divine!!
 Mix the cream in and stir really good until melted and blended together then add in the cheese slices and whisk until melted. 
Bust out some good sliced jalapeno peppers. And give some a chop to your liking.  I did about 4, but add more if you like spicy.  And I added in 1 Tbsp of the jalapeno juice from the jar.  Mix, mix, mix until incorporated. 
I got in my own light...the lighting in my kitchen is terrible right now. But you get the picture. Chopped jalapenos...check!
Then you get yourself something to dip with, really just a utensil for feeding yourself luscious, melty cheese.  I chose a soft pretzel this time.  The next day I had some with a few chips like nachos.  Mmmmmm....

So gooey, yummy, melty, good!!

(Cheese Dip)

1/4 cup butter
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
3 slices of American cheese slices
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup heavy cream
Chopped jalapeno slices from a jar
1 Tbsp. jalapeno juice from the jar
Pinch of salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium/low heat, add the flour and stir until smooth.  Add in the pepper jack until melted.  Add heavy cream, turn your heat up a bit to warm the cream but do not curdle it, whisk until incorporated and smooth.  Add in the cheese slices, stir to incorporate, cheese sauce will start to thicken.  Add in your chopped jalapenos and the jalapeno juice.  Stir until all incorporated and to your thickness liking.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper.

Makes about 2.5 cups of dip.  Serve on broccoli, dip chips, dip pretzels, dip fingers, dip veggies...enjoy!!

*To reheat the dip the following day, add a splash of milk or cream and reheat in the microwave or on stove top.  Whisk until smooth.    

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This would be good as a sub for hollondaise on eggs benedict!!

Eftychia said...

Wow!! What a dip! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us.

Cucina49 said...

There are days I could drown my sorrows in cheese too. That pretzel is gorgeous! Did you make it?

DK365 said...

Lisa, maybe my husband would eat eggs benedict then!

Eftychia..thanks for stopping in :)

Cucina 49: sadly, no I did not make the pretzel...it was a cheese emergency so I cheated and bought some. But I did link to the ones I want to try. Pretzels in the past have proven to be difficult to twist for me so I like the idea of "pretzel bites".