Monday, January 30, 2012

When Life Gives You Winter {Make Lemonade!}

 My dear friend from my home state of California sent me some delicious, fragrant little pieces of sunshine in the mail last week.  Meyer Lemons straight from the tree in her own backyard.  They were delivered to me on an 11 below zero kind of Alaskan day so when I retrieved them from the mail box they were frozen solid.  The box smelled like a warm summer day when I opened it, and how could I not smile when all these beautiful yellow citrus fruits were so bright and happy!   

I debated on what to make with them; lemon curd, lemon meringue pie, lemon bars?  I couldn't decide, and I was also awaiting my new Canon Rebel T3i camera in the mail in hopes that I could photograph these babies before they rotted away.  All my hopes and dreams came true and so not only did I get happy, shiny, citrus fruits but I got the Rebel a few days later too.  And when life gave me Winter I made lemonade!! Not just any lemonade...strawberry lemonade in honor of my daughter's 7th birthday. 



Food pictures excite me, and it is even more exciting since I now have the MOST amazing camera!! Eeeeekkk...I literally did a happy dance when it came, and I am still learning but I love this camera. 

I did a little lemon squeezing with my girls.  Here they are, all squeezed out.  It was a bit messy, and we had some spills.  But we managed to get what we needed out of them.  And because I don't have a juicer I just use this handy dandy squeezer/juicer thingy (a very technical term as you can tell).  So bust out some lemons, and whatever device you have to start extracting juice from them.


Get about a cup or more of fresh lemon juice.  And a bag of frozen strawberries, some sugar and some water...and you have the makings of some sunshine in a cup!!



I made some simple syrup on the stove top, just some sugar and water and brought it to a boil to dissolve the sugar.  Then I let that cool down. 

I added the lemon juice, syrup and water, I mixed it up and then added in the bag of strawberries, and stuck the pitcher in the fridge, allowing the strawberries a chance to defrost a bit and get mushed in there. 


{Strawberry Lemonade}
8 cups of water
1 3/4 cups of white sugar
1 cup (or a bit more) fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 12oz bag of frozen strawberries

Combine 1 cup of the water, and the sugar in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil.  Boil just a few minutes until sugar is fully dissolved, stir and turn off and allow the syrup to cool to room temperature.  Add in the lemon juice, syrup and 7 cups of remaining cold water.  Stir.  Add in frozen strawberries, stir and refrigerate.  Once berries have softened slightly, mash them and stir them a bit to incorporate.  Adjust sweetness to your liking by adding in more white sugar if you so choose, but I recommend a taste first. 

*You could use fresh berries, but since this is Alaska and it is the dead of Winter the frozen berries were a more cost effective and handy solution for this time of year*

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

Yum! That sounds amazing! And your lemon photos are great (:

xo
Leigh Anne

Cassandra said...

Those pictures were so pretty!! Makes me want some of those lemons for my own lemonade!