Thursday, February 16, 2012

{Butter Cake Donuts with Chocolate Glaze} Quick and Easy

Have you been eyeing those lovely little heart shaped donuts on the banner above?  Well...better late than never, here is the recipe for these lovely Butter Cake Donuts. They are so easy, because I used a boxed cake mix and a can of frosting.  My little taste testers thought they were super delicious and they loved the sprinkles. They actually didn't just lick the sprinkles off either, they actually ate the whole thing. 

I bet you right now you can find these heart shaped donut pans on clearance after Valentine's Day...I found mine at Target. 

{Butter Cake Donuts with Chocolate Glaze}

One box of Butter Cake Mix (the kind you add butter to, I happened to have it on hand so I gave it a try).
You will need all the ingredients to make the cake, plus one extra egg.
One cup of flour (there were a couple of flour lumps but have no fear, just pour in a little at a time)
One can of chocolate frosting
2 Tbsp or more milk

Make the cake mix according to the package directions, add in one extra egg (my package called for three, so I put in four) and then one cup of flour into the mix, a little at a time, and mix well.  Grease your donut pan, I used real butter to grease my pan.  And I made sure to grease the portion that was going to make the "hole" in the donut.  Fill your donut pan like you would a cupcake pan. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.  Turn out of the pan and cool on a baking rack.

For the Glaze:
Empty the can of frosting into a bowl, add the 2 Tbsp of milk and stir until thinned, should be about the consistency of glue.  Dip your cooled donuts down into the glaze, tap, turn over, lift up and place them back on your cooling rack and add sprinkles if you like.  The glaze will harden a bit (like when you buy them from the shop) as they sit out for about 30 minutes...if you can wait that long!!

My pan made about 2 dozen of these little guys.  I stored mine in an air tight container in the refrigerator because of the milk in the glaze but I liked them better at room temperature.  My kiddos loved them!  I mean donuts at home?  They were thrilled!!




I brought this to the party here:

It's a Blog Party

1 comment:

Just me-Jerri said...

looks awesome.............4 day weekend. Plan on making them!